Posted by Team GGD Milano
Interested in sponsoring a Girl Geek Dinner in Milan or donating gadgets for an event? Read more below and write us! We speak English, too
Girl Geek Dinners
The Girl Geek Dinners (or GGD) were born in London as an idea by Sarah Blow. The first GGD in Italy was in Milan in 2007, but a full year passed before the second, when the current team organized the GGD in Milan in 2008.
The GGD are dinners or encounters destined for women passionate about technology, the Internet, and new media. They are special opportunities to encounter and socialize with other interesting women during a dinner. They are organized all over the world.
The dinners in Milan are organized by an unpaid team of volunteers and are absolutely not-for-profit.
The scope of these dinners is to introduce and unite women that work in the high-tech sector, and to transform into a community, in which men are clearly welcome.
The dinners are Girls Only.
Actually, there are also men, admitted as invited guests by a Girl Geek, and in limited number for some events.
Girl Geek Dinners in Milan, Italy
The first four Girl Geek Dinners in Italy were all organized in Milan, and to date we’ve had more than 1000 participants from managers to journalists to engineers to programmers to new media trend-setters.
- GGD Milano #1 was on March 30, 2007 with 80 participants.
- Sponsor: Dada, Excite
- Sponsor: Dada, Excite
- GGD Milano #2 was on February 29, 2008 with 120 participants.
- Theme: Network, Share, Empower
- Sponsor: Dada, Ogilvy, Cisco
- GGD Milano #3 was on May 23, 2008 with 150 participants.
- Theme: Speed Networking
- Sponsor: Norton, powered by Symantec; Indesit
- GGD Milano #4 was on June 20, 2008 with 250 participants.
- Theme: Car 2.0
- Sponsor: Fiat
- GGD Milano #5 was on October 24, 2008 with 60 participants.
- Theme: Open Source
- Sponsor: This event, being about open source, was deliberately sponsor-free.
- GGD Milano #6 was on December 12, 2008 with 150 participants.
- Theme: Live Wiki, New GGD Italia site, End of the Year Celebration
- Sponsor: Norton, powered by Symantec
- GGD Milano #7 was on February 20, 2009 with 80 participants.
- Theme: SEO & SEM
- Sponsor: There were no main or supporting sponsors for this event.
- GGD Milano #8 was on June 19, 2009, with 150 participants.
- Theme: Social Media and companies
- Sponsor: Fiat.
- GGD Milano #9 was on September 16, 2009 with 80 participants.
- Theme: Protecting your Geek World
- Sponsor: Norton from Symantec
- GGD Milano #10 was on December 11th, 2009 with 140 participants.
- Theme: Connectivity & Networking online and offline
- Sponsor: Kodak
- GGD Milano #11 was on March 12th, 2010 with 120 participants.
- Theme: Technology and networking
- Sponsor: Microsoft
- GGD Milano #12 was on May 14th, 2010 with 70 participants.
- Theme: Ignite evening
- Sponsor: Dymo
- GGD Milano #13 was on June 18th, 2010 with 100 participants.
- Theme: Inside Sony
- Sponsor: Sony
- GGD Milano #14 was on December 18th, 2010 with 140 participants.
- Theme: Networking and sharing
- Sponsor: Kodak
- GGD Milano #15 was on March 4th, 2011 with 90 participants.
- Theme: User Interfaces
- Sponsor: AMD
Future GGD in Milan are planned for:
- GGD Milano #16 – May 6th, 2011
- GGD Milano #17 – October 14th, 2011
- GGD Milano #18 – December 16th, 2011
- To see Articles written about us, check our Rassegna Stampa (Press) page. Many articles are in Italian only.
- If you’d like an English version of a Press Release or information about our group or team, please email: info /at/ girlgeekdinnersmilano.com
- If you’re interested in Sponsoring a Girl Geek Dinner in Milan, email us at: sponsors /at/ girlgeekdinnersmilano.com (To see a list of the companies that have Sponsored us, please check our Sponsors page)
- If you’re interested in Donating a Gadget for a future dinner (we recommend minimum 50 pieces), please write us at: sponsors /at/ girlgeekdinnersmilano.com
- If you’re already organizing Girl Geek Dinners in another location, but would like to Share Best Practices/Info about organizing GGDs, write to Milano Team at info /at/ girlgeekdinnersmilano.com – (Note: for existing GGDs only. To start a Girl Geek Dinner in your area, you must contact Sarah Blow first.)